Elvis says, "Get movin!"

Elvis says, "Get movin!"

Friday, July 15, 2011

Action Research in Education: What does it mean?

Action Research allows educational leaders the opportunity to take charge of their own professional growth and to be at the center of transformation of their profession. In all cases of Action Research, or "Inquiry", the intended outcome is to create effective change that will continue to promote growth via innovative approaches to the educational experience and bring the educational community towards one vision. Action research can be an inquiry devoted solely to that of the role of the educational leader, utilized in an academic setting of higher learning as a classroom strategy, performed as a group of leaders at the district level to create a unified group of learners and is highly effective in providing a framework for action in Professional Learning Communities that can be established on any campus. All of these approaches to inquiry create a direct path for educators to work closely with others while continuing to monitor and shape our educational outcomes. The key difference between that of action research and traditional research is that action research is always a response to real experiences in an educational community, whereas traditional research has historically been devoid of direct contact with a campus community and almost always happens solely at the University level. Rather than believe that one type of research is better than the other, I think it best to believe that these two practices share an equally important and symbiotic relationship in regards to shaping the future of education.

I will continue to use action research as I evolve my own professional practices so that reaching my desired goals will be more efficient and with greater precision. I know that if I can do both of these things, I will also gain the respect of those that I lead and will be a more effective life-long learner in my role as a leader. I will absolutely use the action research model to bring the campus community together to share strengths and vision via a Professional Learning Community.

No comments:

Post a Comment